Getting up in the morning with a pimple is not at all a fun thing to wake up to. No one can really blame you if you want to start your day with some serious zit popping right in front of the mirror, in order for you to leave wihout the embarrassment of a big and red pimple on your face all throughout the day. However, before you start popping zits, think again. There may be some unforseen consequences that come with zit popping. Read on further and find out whether it is good to pop zits or not and how to properly do it if you really need to.
Is it Okay to Pop Zits?
Popping a pimple may be the fastest way for you to get rid of that big red thing on your face. However, this is often not a good idea because this can increase your risk of getting more and more zits. The squeezing and the pinching of a pimple can damage the skin in the first place. The bacteria can be pushed into the pimple further, which can cause infection and scarring. Hence, most of the time, instead of it taking care of your pimple fast enough, popping zits can only make acne vulgaris worse.
However, there are pimples that can be popped safely and will not cause any risk of worse acne conditions. A pimple that is a good candidate for popping is the one that has a thin, white tip. This kind of pimple indicates that it is ready to rupture and drain at any moment.
Popping Zits Correctly
Granted that you have the best pimple candidate to be popped, here are the tips on how to pop a zit properly and safely:
- Wash your hands. Your hands can be a breeding ground of bacteria, which can only infect the zits once your hands touch your face. Therefore, before attempting to pop a zit, make sure your hands are thoroughly washed, especially the part underneath your nails.
- Use an anti-bacterial cleanser. Wash your face with soap and water to remove makeup, dirt, sweat, and oil. To decrease chances of irritation, use an anti-bacterial cleanser on the skin surrounding the pimple.
- Sterilize a needle. A sterilized needle is you best tool when popping a zit. You can sterilize a needle by running its tip through a flame. Once done, use a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol to clean its tip.
- Pop the pimple. Position the needle nearly parallel to the skin and then spear the head of the zit through the other side of the pimple. Pull the needle up so the top of the zit will be opened.
- Apply gentle pressure towards the pimple. This is to help force the pus out of the open zit. Do not squeeze too hard, though. This will only make the pimple burst underneath the skin, which can lead to a lot of smaller pimples.
- Wipe the area off. Use a clean alcohol wipe to clean the area surrounding the popped pimple. You can also use benzoyl peroxide acne treatment to oust bacteria from coming inside.
Popping zits is most people’s trusted way on how to get rid of a zit fast. However, this is not always a good idea. Before you go on popping one, think about whether your pimple is ready to be popped. If not, wait until the pimple is ready. Once it is okay to pop the pimple, make sure you use the correct and safe ways to pop the zit for your best advantage.